Posted on December 29 2018
A lot of people want to be more sustainable as their New Years Resolution. It can be super overwhelming to get started on this journey, but we have some tips to start out small and still make a big impact!
Some other benefits to being sustainable and eco-friendly? It is also good for your health! Constantly being exposed to plastics and cheap disposable materials can disrupt our hormones because these chemicals act as xenoestrogens which are much stronger than naturally produced estrogen. Fragrances and chemicals in products can also cause skin irritations, asthma, and more.
Some ways to live a more sustainable lifestyle:
- Metal straws or glass straws - straws may not seem like a big deal, but they are small pieces of plastic that aren’t necessary! You can also purchase cool lids like this on that turn your mason jar into a cup.
- Water bottle - investing in a good bottle like Swell is great because it can double as a bottle for hot and cold by keeping cold for 24 hours and hot for 12 hrs. Great for school, work, on the go, camping, workouts, and more.
- Dryer balls - can be reused for 100’s of loads and you can use your own essential oils for scent. They also cut down on drying time.We have a pack of three that are unscented and also a dryer ball that is already scented with essential oils so it is easier for you!
- Use non-toxic cleaning products - it ends up in our water supply and is absorbed by our skin! Don’t go and throw out all of your products, but once you use up one product, start swapping them out for their natural alternative. You can find a ton of DIY’s on our pinterest if you want to have fun with it! Important ones to switch out: laundry soap, fabric softener, dish soap, hand soap, all-purpose cleaner, floor cleaner. Your body, skin, hormones and the earth will thank you!
- Reusable bags and produce bags - Think of each time you go to a store and take one of their bags? It may not seem like a lot but if everyone uses one plastic bag each day it adds up. Leave some in your purse, car, by your front door - wherever you will remember it! It will soon become habit.
- Buy in bulk with reusable containers - There are tons of stores that offer buying in bulk and using your own jars! And bonus it is all ready to be stored at home, and your food won't be exposed to plastics.
- For the ladies.. Diva Cup and Organic tampons and pads - so much waste comes from feminine products. The Diva Cup is a great option for women that is not only safer than tampons but is much more cost effective! Organic tampons and pads are biodegradable, non-GMO and free of fragrance and chemicals.
The most important thing to remember on the journey of living more sustainable and toxin free, is to be practical and don't beat yourself up if it takes time to change habits. We hope this gives you some inspiration, and please share with us your favourite ways to cut down on waste so we can get better together!